One afternoon, I drove up to Lake Timothy near Mt. Hood on possibly one of the most beautiful days I have yet to experience. Having lived in a desert for so long, the greenery took my breath away. The skies were blue with few clouds, there was a perfect view of Mt. Hood reflecting into the lake, and it wasn't unbearably hot (I should find some pics and post them, actually). After hiking most of the way around the lake, I settled on a huge rock, soaking up the sun and alternately reading or just appreciating the view. Suddenly, a chick about my age appeared with a chocolate lab at her side. They both greeted me with a friendly look, then turned their attention to the lake. The dog dove straight into the water, and the girl waded in up to her knees, throwing a toy out for the dog to retrieve. I sat watching the fun, and resolved within myself that I would one day own a dog and play fetch with her at that very lake. Then, apparently, I promptly forgot all about it (but we have already established my long-term memory issues ;-).
Well, this dog-sitting gig has brought back that old resolve. Not only have I taken Herc (short for Hercules) on longer hikes through Forest Park, but I actually get out and walk him several times a day for significant lengths of time (and this is a fact which should also be established: Stephanie is laaaaaazy). Now, I feel safe when we walk by creepy people in the park, or when there are weird noises in the middle of the night. And then there's just that lovely, loyal, companion-ish feeling that dogs are known for. Can't you just picture me with one? (Just say yes).
Oh, and in case you are wondering what type I'd get: I want an English pointer. This is because I was sitting at brunch, in the dog-friendly patio at Tin Shed, and there was a lovely little pup curled up under a woman's chair. I oohed and ahhh'ed, but the athletic owner didn't seem so thrilled. She told me with some disdain that the dog was fairly lazy. My friend and I looked at each other and laughed... the perfect dog for me! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment