One of the reasons I moved to Portland three years ago was to enjoy the live music scene. For the most part, shows are extremely affordable here, which is good because I am always poor. (Inserting gratuitous plug for venues here: Doug Fir, Mississippi Studios, and Miss. Pizza all have consistently quality performances, great ambiance, and affordable shows). So, tonight, I'm going to take a moment to highlight some of the singers and/or bands I have "discovered," knowing full well that most Portland peeps will think this "sooooo 2007". I can only hope that something will be new to you, though, dear reader...
(Please note: clicking on the name of the performers will link you to their music.)
* Maria Taylor- Part of the band Azure Ray, but an amazing songstress on her own. I love pretty much all of her first two albums, but refer to "Good Start" and "SpeakEasy" as my faves.
* The Builders and the Butchers- Hands down the most charismatic show I have ever seen live- EVER. The lead singer has such an energy and charisma that I swear he channels Johnny Cash. I don't think the recorded music does their live performance justice- it just can't. But try anyway...
* Holcombe Waller- Good Lord, this man can write and sing songs like an angel!!! I fell in love with his music at a taping of LiveWire (a local radio show), and have seen him live several more times since- he has never, ever disappointed me. Check out "Literally the End of the World" or with his band, the Healers.
* Horse Feathers- I was dragged- almost kicking and screaming- to see this band, and left floating on air. They play folk/ bluegrass, with a cello, a saw, and some of the best singing I have heard in a long time. Listen to "Like Lavender" and "Finch on Saturday." And they're going to play a "pickathon" in rural OR in August... beat that for awesome.
* Justin Power- He opened for the Horse Feathers one weekend, and played with the Portland Cello Project another. I got to see both, and his voice blew me away both times. Keep an eye out for his rising star... Oh, and some friends grew up with him, so that makes him even cooler.
* Laura Gibson- Almsot a household name in Portland nowadays, but if you haven't heard this lady of folk/blues, try "Hands in Pockets."
* The Old Believers- This band opened for the Horse Feathers, and their simplicity won me over. More bluegrass/ folk, with a dreamy tip.
* Chris Koza- Oh so enticingly geeky, and yet with a voice so incredibly sexy-smooth, Chris Koza melts my heart with the song, "Salt."
* Derby- Check out "If Ever There's a Reason." It's got a folksy-rock sound that makes me dance in my seat.
* The Dimes- Also a folk/ pop and local band, I've seen these guys perform several times. My favorite of theirs: "Salt and Foam."
* Imogen Heap- Sure, you probably already know her name and 'that one song from the Garden State soundtrack.' I just wanted to brag that I got to see her live in concert- at the Crystal Ballroom, too- and even somewhat ill, she put on a great show. I'm just sayin'...
* Storm Large (and her band The Balls)- A local celebrity who had brief national fame for one of those celebrity reality shows (maybe to be on INXS?), Storm Large has a powerful voice. It literally makes my jaw drop. Of course, she's crass, swears like a sailor, and her outfits make me blush (she had to know that dress was see-through!), too. But if you ever get a chance to hear her live, do it!
And a couple of bands I haven't seen live... yet:
* Stars of Track and Field- Local band about to make it big? Check out "With You"
* Frightened Rabbit- Haven't seen them live yet, but if NPR says it's good, then it IS. :)
There's a ma-zillion more, but those are the first to come to mind. I'm really hoping that you have discovered a few new favorites all your own!

No comments:
Post a Comment