I started a great new job a few weeks ago with co-workers who are fun and friendly. That's the upside. The downside is getting up at 3am in order to be at work for my 5-10 am shift each day. The hours are not ideal for night owl types, and certainly no one has ever accused me of being a morning person. So it follows naturally that I'd be a little out of it when my shift was completed (and maybe sometimes during...? ;-).
Well, on my way home from work one day, I thought I'd just pop into my neighborhood grocery chain. I needed to purchase items for the potluck we have each Tuesday evening for counseling practicum. Wandering the aisles in a near zombie- like trance, I filled my basket with food.
As I rounded the end of an aisle, I locked eyes with a gorgeous man approaching from the opposite direction. I smiled; he smiled. A nice moment, then...
WHAM!
The next thing I know, I'm launching forward, food flying everywhere- I can't determine which way is up. Landing at an odd angle directly on the center of my left thigh, I see one shoe slide gracefully down the aisle... and, of course, Cute Guy is nowhere to be seen.
Tears sprang to my eyes as I moved to a seated position, trying desperately to piece together what had just happened. I glanced about, noting that I was sitting on a raised platform, maybe six inches high, tiled the same exact color as the floor. The platform would usually display sale items, but was currently empty. And there were no signs or staff anywhere. No wonder I'd tripped!
Staff and shoppers ran over to ask if I was alright; people were offering a hand or an ice pack. I continued to sit, dumbfounded and red-of-face, trying to gain my composure. Blinking back unbidden tears, I rose to stand on a very sore leg. Ow. Just OW.
Then, I hear: "Accident on Aisle Four. Accident on Aisle Four. Manager needed."
Are you kidding me? I'd been star of the show long enough! I ran, or rather limped, my way to the front door and to my car.
You'd think that fall would have at least gotten me a phone number... ;-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Why is it I'm smiling while listening to your pain? You are such a great writer I could feel the embarrassment. Your freak store accident is way better than mine (where my shoe got sliced by a mayo jar).
ReplyDeletei too love your writing style and can't wait to hear about this new job. obviously cute guy, was oblivious to what was going on. of course, maybe that's for the best- that would have been REALLY embarrassing had he come to help... or maybe it would have been superman-ish. love you. miss you
ReplyDelete