A co-worker reminded me of a particularly intriguing conversation I had with a 6 year old boy a couple years ago. I've been re-telling it to co-workers quite a bit but thought I'd share it here, too, because it alternately amuses and amazes me.
Some background: Judson impressed me with a marked air of dreaminess and creativity, wise beyond his years. The first grader introduced himself to me in the library by formally shaking my hand. He shared that he sometimes played with a group of girls at recess. "We only play chase. One girl- the girl that tells all the other girls what to do- she chose me to chase her. Because I am really fast, she lets me chase her a lot. She doesn't let the other girls play the games I make up, though." He was very excited to share some of these elaborate make-believe games he'd constructed for himself on the playground. He clarified, however, that he usually played on his own because the other children didn't understand the way that he talked.
But it was this exchange that really blew my mind:
Judson: Kids don't always play with me because I can read their minds.
Me, incredulously: You can read minds?
Judson: I can. It makes people upset at me sometimes.
Me (playing along): Can you show me?
Judson: I guess. Okay, close your eyes and think of something.
I close my eyes. Not being able to think of any object in particular, I picture a bright shade of purple. Then I open my eyes.
Judson: Hey! That's not fair! Were you trying to trick me? You can't just think of a color!
Me: Whhhhhhaaaaaaaaaat? Wait, what color?
Judson, shrugging his shoulders: Purple.
Momentarily speechless, I finally get my jaw off the floor to say: Ok, do it again.
Judson: Oooooh-kay. Close your eyes and don't cheat this time.
A cartoon picture of a red car comes to mind. I think of it, wondering if he could actually do it again, or if I'll have to just play along. Because he can't REALLY read minds, can he?
Judson: Cool! A red car!
whoa.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Whoa! That is crazy! Sometimes he'd be frustrating to have as a friend, but other times he'd be real useful. : )
ReplyDelete