May 6, 2010

the classics

This evening, I was sitting around a table, talking with a fourth grade girl, Zeta, her mother, Terri, and her mentor, Laurie. Terri asked her daughter's mentor if she'd like to attend Zeta's end of year choir concert. The rest is as follows:

Mother: You really must come to this concert. Zeta's singing Eye of the Tiger!
Me (to Zeta): Wait, really? Is this a talent show?
Zeta: Oh, no, our entire class is singing it. We're really good.
Laurie: Zeta's been talking about this for weeks! Her friend is playing the guitar, right?
Zeta: No, the drums. Like- DUN! dun dun dun- dun dun dun- dun dun dun- DUN!
Laurie: Actually, Stephanie, you should go, too. Zeta is a great singer, and her class loves it.
Zeta, singing: "Rising up! Back on the streets!..."
* Laurie, Terri and I join in, eyes closed, with hand motions. *
Me: Man, I used to love that song!
Laurie: Me, too! I used to sing to it in my bedroom as a kid.
Zeta: I wasn't even BORN then.
Mother: Wow, that's depressing.

When did such a cool song become fodder for a children's choir concert, anyway?
sigh.

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome! This song was played a lot during my century bike ride training.

    ReplyDelete