One of the fabulous school counselors I work with- we'll call her Nadia- wanted me to meet a tiny little first grade boy whom she thought could benefit from a mentor. As Nadia and I walked toward Jeremy's classroom, she told me that his father was working overseas, he had a very active imagination, and he was fascinated with comic books and video games.
When we got to the door, Nadia made eye contact with the teacher and asked, "May I see Jeremy, Mr. H?" We looked around, waiting for a child to look up in recognition of his name. No one did. Mr. H smiled and walked over to stand behind a little boy who was bent over a desk, coloring. He said, "There's no one by the name of Jeremy in our class, but there is a Sonic..." As he spoke, Mr. H gestured at the boy. Nadia smiled, spun around on her heel, and headed out the door. Confused, I stood watching. Mr. H walked over to me and whispered, "Jeremy is pretty much obsessed with Sonic the Hedgehog."
At the door, Nadia turned back and entered the room like nothing at all had happened. "Hello, Mr. H! I was wondering if I could see Sonic?" The same little boy popped up out of his chair, grinning. "That's me! I'm right here!" Nadia and I waited as he walked over to join us, then she introduced me, without missing a beat, to Sonic.
Adorable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

HA! that's funny.
ReplyDelete