I am currently working as a concierge at the front desk of a fancy-schmancy condo building in downtown Portland. Most of my work consists of collecting packages and dry-cleaning or opening doors, but sometimes fun little exchanges happen with the homeowners. Today one of those events occurred and I just had to share.
A new family recently moved into the building and have been getting to know the building. As the seven year old daughter (we'll call her Dakota) and her mother (ummm, Kerrie) were walking through the lobby, Kerrie stopped at the desk, smiling. Dakota was hiding behind her- all I could see were her little shoes. Kerrie winked at me and said, "My little one wants to ask you a question." She told her daughter she wouldn't ask me anything until she showed her face. I saw Dakota's little face peek out, revealing a shy grin and a twinkle in her eye. Kerrie asked, "Do you know what the 'M' button is for on the elevator?" Dakota leaned forward, anxiously awaiting my answer.
"Well, everyone knows that you only find the 'M' button in one of the elevators. It takes you to the Mezzanine, which holds storage lockers. It's between this floor and the second floor of houses. BUT, some people might think it's actually a secret place..." I winked.
Dakota boldly stepped in front of her mother and blurted out, "That's what my Dad said. He said it's where they keep the monsters. All the monsters are in the storage lockers, and only some people can see them. That's what the 'M' is really for." Her mother laughed- she was clearly delighted by her daughter's flight of fancy- and reached out to ruffle her daughter's hair. Dakota looked up at her and asked in all seriousness, "Are there really monsters, Mommy?" Kerrie shook her head, leaned down, and said, "Honey, you can make believe it a special place but it doesn't need to have monsters." Dakota thought for a minute then replied, "It's okay. I like monsters!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Was reading this at work and burst out laughing! The jig was up! I was caught reading blogs at work. But totally worth it! You have such a great way of making me feel like I was there. :)
ReplyDeleteSara Suarez (chadwell)