March 30, 2010

love stinks

While riding home on the MAX today, a man approached me with a giant bundle on his arm. I could smell him coming. This large, well-dressed, African American man explained that he was selling incense to raise money for a non profit which benefits teens who are trying to leave the gang lifestyle. He asked if I would purchase three bundles of incense for $5. I told him I was sorry, but I knew that I only had $2 cash on me. He smiled and said he'd let me buy one package for that price. He then displayed his array of scents. I chose the myrrh, he thanked me, and then he moved on.

Behind me, I heard him approach someone who agreed to purchase two packages. I turned to see a 20-something hipster, who seemed pretty upbeat. He asked about the options, and the man rattled them off: myrrh, peaches & cream, rose, frankincense, or love. The hipster replied, "I'll take one of the frankincense and one of the love...

...I've always wanted to know what love smells like."

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment