February 10, 2010

contagion?

Being particularly fair skinned (to put it mildly), I have often suffered from allergic reactions to lotions, soaps, and creams. Several years ago, I got it into my head to try a new body wash (I know- wildly daring!). This resulted in a terribly red and painful rash which broke out everywhere, and required copious amounts of Benadryl. After a few days, the irritation subsided.

This unfortunate reaction occurred just before Thanksgiving and the day of the holiday I got a call from my friend, Tavya. She needed some last minute dinner supplies and asked me to accompany her to Walmart. I realized that I needed some contact solution and we walked to the area near the pharmacy. Suddenly recalling my recent skin irritation, Tavya turned, and in a ridiculously loud voice, asked, "Hey, how's your rash?" To my horror, the good customers of Walmart whipped their heads around to stare, then began to back away in a rather hurried manner. I blushed a deep shade of red and rushed away to find an aisle in which to hide. It took Tavya several minutes, I think, to catch on to what she'd done; in any case, she was giggling quite uncontrollably when she discovered me amongst the DVDs.

...aaaaaand scene.

1 comment: