

The other day, I ran into an acquaintance. We'll call him Josh. I glanced down and noticed Josh was in possession of a notebook with Wonder Woman on the cover, and was immediately flooded with memories of my obsession thereof. Josh and I met eyes and grinned, knowing we shared a similar passion.
My story is simple: girl's mother buys her Wonder Woman Underoos, girl wears said underoos aaaaaallll the time (sometimes under my school clothes in anticipation of particularly rough days), girl literally wears underoos until the holes are unsightly, and girl's mother cuts them up and throws them out (mother likely having to destroy them due to girl pulling them out of the trash on several occasions). I recall many days of being mesmerised by the TV show, using my "golden lasso" to tie up my younger brothers- thinking back, my brothers put up with a lot from me- and flying my invisible plane to such exotic locales as the grocery store or McDonald's. I'm attaching a picture of me and the sibs, for all the world nonchalant about posing in my underwear. Hells yea.
Now I don't know if it's polite to share Josh's story, but it made me laugh, so I thought I'd share it, as well. Josh remembers that his mother had decided that he was in need of a new set of warm winter pajamas. She hauled him down to the nearest department store, where they began scouring the boys' department. His mother would occasionally hold up a set, and Josh would firmly shake his head, sure that there was a set that he'd just have to have. Suddenly, a flash of navy, gold and red caught his eye. There it was in all its glory: the perfect set of PJs. Josh ran across the aisle into the girls' department and seized upon a wonderful pair of Wonder Woman pajamas. The top was navy in the sleeves and base with a gold breast plate, and the bottoms were long white pants with red and blue stars. Josh held the PJs to his body, and his mother sighed and nodded her assent. Josh swears this he wore that set until they just fell of his body, as well. Wonder Woman seems to inspire just that kind of loyalty!
I wish I could find a pair of underwear that made me feel that same sort of confidence and creativity nowadays... ;-)

No comments:
Post a Comment